Tuesday

The Stain, Middle East and World Cup

What I learned this week: When I am critical of others, it does not take me long to realize, they are a mirroring aspects of myself I don't care to see.


What I am grateful for: I have friends who hold me accountable for my words and actions, even if at times I don't like it!

Living Smart, Latina Voices and Town Forums are on hiatus due to our membership drive, but I must say, I feel like focusing on three other things that occupy my thoughts and mind. This morning I saw an "oily bird." It is day 51of the BP oil spill. I have read a lot and still know little. The subject is so complicated. The technology, the engineering, the ocean temperatures are all news to me. Politicians are flying for cover, while those affected on the coast are crying foul and feeling the black ocean will also become a black cloud in their future. It is a sad time for America, and for those of us living in the gulf coast, a wake up call that CAME TOO LATE. The fact is, no matter what we do, it is too late. The damage has been done and will continue for years to come. What are we to do? First, we should never forget. Yes, I heard a friend say, mistakes happen. Look at the challenger. should we stop going into space because we made a mistake? I guess my question would be. What is the magnitude of the "mistake" How many "mistakes" were made before the accident? Who made them? Why? The most important question I would ask is. What role did I play in all of this? Have I ever done something that was not comfortable to protect the environment? like drive less, or fly less or clean up the messes on the beach? I keep saying, we can't keep living the way we have. The planet will continue to exist whether we are here or not, but it is a gift and this spill is a reminder of our own desire for more, for comfort, for cheap energy. I am not an energy expert, or engineer or a futurist. I do know when I look deeply within. I too played a role in this. Ask yourself that question.

The middle east continues to be a mess. The fact is, major decisions are not being made based on human rights. Why is it people have to die for the world to pay attention? I would love to see peace in the middle east and it would ultimately benfit us all, but the world does not have the leadership it needs to make the hard decisions for this conflict to end. All I can do is pray for peace.

World Cup
Need I say I am passionate about soccer? As a first generation American of Argentine parents and Spanish grandparents, I have the USA team to root for, and also Argentina and Spain, how fun is that? To understand the world's passion for soccer, we must see the sport is the great equalizer. Anybody, rich or not, tall or short, religous or heretic can play it ANYWHERE. I used to play with my brother in the streets with a plastic ball, a ball made of sheets, a real ball or a tennis ball. The idea was to play all day until dawn. If we had lights in the street we would continue to play until mom called us to go to bed. Soccer has been a part of my life ever since and after being present in three world cups, I plan to go to many more. This is truly a sport for the world. It is almost the first time you see so many people of many nationalities in the same celebration. I can't wait!

Living Smart and Latina Voices return on June 20th at 2:30 and 3pm respectively. Stay tuned!

No comments: