Thursday

Living Smart , and No more Victims with Marilyn Gambrell

LIVING SMART

Living Smart season 3 started last weekend on October 21st with Eliza Duncan. This Sunday John Sage will be featured again at 3pm. I really loved hanging out with John Sage of Bridges to Life. He taught me to stand up for what is right but also to have compassion. He lost his sister in a brutal murder. After suffering from depression, and a year of prayer, he realized he wanted to start a program in prison to understand why inmates do what they do and for them to understand how victim's families feel about their actions. His program has been so successful the recidivism rate for prisoners he and his volunteers work with has gone from the general 60 percent to less than 10 percent. He is an amazing man who chose a positive way to respond to a horrible situation. This Sunday October 29th at 3pm on Ch. 8.

I want to share another story about Living Smart which gives me the incentive to fight to keep the show on the air. On season 2 I interviewed Marilyn Gambrell of No More Victims. The organization takes care of children of incarcerated parents. These children have been raped, neglected, abandoned, starved, etc. Their problems are innumerable. Marilyn has become a surrogate mother for these children. When I met her, Marilyn felt very little hope she could do much with the little monies she was getting so I connected her with my favorite charity. Cherish Our children International. This past Sunday I attended a fundraiser organized for No more Victims and played drums along with 400 other drummers to raise money for the children. We raised over 36,000! Miracles happen. Since Marilyn met Cherish our children they have raised a lot more than that and the children will be getting a new home, a new community garden and many other activities to help them cope with the myriad of problems they face.

MUSIC

November 10th at the ARTERY will be my last concert this year. I have decided to take a break from music for a while so I can rest. I have been quite stressed lately and I need to spend more time taking care of myself. I hope you will all come. I have no idea when I will take up music again.

No comments: