Thursday

Soul Pain and what I can do about it

Yesterday I met someone going through a divorce and today, I met someone else who shared his pain after his divorce. Since I have never gone through this, all I could say is. It takes time, but from my own personal experience, suffering does not go away after a breakup, it only gets more "maneagable."
I am reading a book called Creating a Life by James Hollis. He will be on my Living Smart season 4 and I would like to share some of the paragraphs that help me deal with my own soul pain after things don't work out the way I want them to.
"The temptation to live on the surface of life is clear enough. When we are pulled deeply into something, even love, it hurts and opens us up to great suffering. But the willingness to open to depth is the chief way in which dignity and purpose return to life.

Then I read "When we embrace the anxiety attendant upon our condition, we open to the power of the divine."

My friend's response to me after reading it to him was. "That is just too deep for me" In a way I understood his response, right after a breakup, the last thing I wanted to read was why suffering is good for me!!! Now that time has passed. I am a better person because I can actually recognize soul pain when I meet someone. I have learned compassion and that is not easy to learn.

No comments: