Monday

Story of Stuff and Media Literacy on Living Smart

As we confront gas prices going up to possibly $200 a barrell eventually, We are finally asking the tough questions. We are realizing that this may have been going on for a long time and that we have been living in a dream which has now turned into a nightmare. That is why I like to watch the story of stuff, so I can be enlightend. Click here www.storyofstuff.com

On their website you read "The Story of Stuff is a 20-minute, fast-paced, fact-filled look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns. The Story of Stuff exposes the connections between a huge number of environmental and social issues, and calls us together to create a more sustainable and just world. It'll teach you something, it'll make you laugh, and it just may change the way you look at all the stuff in your life forever."

I have to agree with what they say. I have been trying to change the way I live for a while now but it is difficult, but we have to start somewhere. Please watch it and tell me what you think.

This coming Sunday at 3pm (next thursday at 1pm on Ch. 8,) Professor Garth Jowett discusses why even though we have more information everywhere, we seem to know less. After the mainstream media did such a poor job covering the beginning of the war, I felt we needed to question why.
Why is it that we have networks who say they are fair and balanced and clearly they are not? Why is it the so called mainstream media did not tell us the truth about the war? Why was the Pentagon able to fund so called "pro war experts" and our media accepted it without asking questions. Why is it people on certain radio stations can still say Global Warming is a hoax and a large number of people believe them? Find out what media consolidation has done to our media and how we can make better choices when we get information on what is going on. My ultimate advise is follow the money. Who is making money by keeping us misinformed?

One of his suggestions is that you read from the right and the left. I try doing that and I also watch international news in other languages. I know that is not enough. The other problem we face is that there is way too much information as it is. I just want to figure out how to live smarter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pat: you might be interested in my MEDIA LITERACY CLEARINGHOUSE web page:
http://www.frankwbaker.com