Monday

The Breast Cancer journey, My Dog and Health Care

I had my surgery. It lasted 5 hours, but when I woke up, I could handle the pain and the nausea and that was of most importance to me. I also learned they didn't find cancer in the lymph nodes which is extremely important since that is how the cancer spreads. As I wait for the pathology reports, I look back at whas was most difficult in the first part of the journey. I can honestly say the "not knowning" was the worst part. The second worst part was the waiting and finally some of the tests I had to undergo before surgery. Have I said that I am a very lucky woman time and time again? They found my cancer early, so I most likely won't die from it. I also have said, the breast cancer journey is a very personal lonely one at least for me. Don't get me wrong. I have so many dear friends and family members who have held my hand, my soul and my heart for weeks, but no one takes away that each time you have a test, a mammogram, a surgery, you are alone with your God or whatever you believe in.

I don't want to scare anyone because frankly, the experience is unique for every person. It so happens that I have a low threshold for pain. The day before my surgery I had to be injected with a local anesthetic so they could locate two needles where the surgeon was to operate. This is called a needle localization procedure. It was not fun. I cussed which is not like me and didn't do so well when they injected the dye but I must say this. The doctors and nurses at MD Anderson are amazing. Thanks to me they learned a few bad words in Spanish (When I cuss I do it in my first language) and they were patient and understanding and caring. I was embarrassed but never felt they didn't understand or made me feel like a fool. They held my hand and kept saying they were sorry. I would answer under my breath. You are saving my life so do what you must. I can take it but please humor me, let me scream!

The surgery results could not have been better. I had asked friends and family to pray for I believe in the power of prayer to heal. I know hundreds were praying for me. The cancer had not spread which makes my prognosis a wonderful one. I will never be able to thank enough those who did pray for me. These are the people who make my life worth living.

I was told before I went into surgery that my life would change forever. I didn't really understand what that meant. I still don't but I find that I am much more aware of what is really important to me. I don't believe in coincidences. I believe in miracles. The night before my surgery, my brother's dog which I considered my dog Athena decided that she was going to have a heart attack and die. I so loved that dog I can't tell you. I feel she waited for me to go through this and I was able to say goodbye to her at 8pm when I went home to bed (I said I loved her and that I would see her soon because I had to have major surgery) and she died at 11pm that night. I didn't find out until after surgery. I cried so hard because this dog had shown me the lessons of unconditional love and I had the priviledge to have her in my life 9 years. I feel she held off until I could handle it. Dogs and animals have so much to teach us. WE can be in a bad mood, or depressed or feel defeated but they never change around us. They continue to love us and accept us unconditionally. In her honor, I will try to be more like her. I will attempt to stop reacting to negative emotions brought on by others. I will wiggle my tail with happiness every day I see those I love and even those I don't like.

As I recover at home. I am reading all I can about health care, since we will have a town forum on October 13th on the topic. I am very dismayed at the misinformation that exists regarding reform. Whether you are a Democrat or a Republican, make sure you are getting accurate information. Health care will be one of the biggest challenges we face as a nation. Unfortunately, we seem to live in a time that few in government tend to have the ethics and integrity to face up to big interests. Get informed and let us know what you think. I am very lucky to have insurance but do I feel comfortable that 50 million Americans don't? No, because I could be one of them tomorrow. We are all interconnected. Next I will share what I have learned about diets and cancer. There is a lot we can do to prevent cancer in our lives. Knowledge is power.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog has touched me, Patti. You are amazing. Keep up being an inspiration. hugz... Joan vanR