Wednesday

MD Anderson Cancer Center, insurance and surgery

As I approach my surgical date, I would like to share some interesting lessons I have learned. First of all, yes, you need to know all about your insurance plan, because if you don't you will be facing unpleasant surprises. As I began to get bills every day from just the diagnostic tests I had, I realized I better get informed and empowered or else I would lose a lot of my savings. I got to talk to a woman who deals with insurance companies and hospitals so that the patient does not have to worry about it. I thought her services were useful and helpful in times like these. Her name is Jane P. Lehto, CSA, MRR Medical Reimbursement Resource. 713 526 0955. I had no idea services like these existed and I must say, it makes sense. There is too much pressure and tension in our lives when going through this and the last thing we want to think or should think about is insurance coverage. (Reminder our town forum on health care reform will be on October 13th so put it on your calendar.)
MD Anderson has a great patient advocacy office. These folks, who are hard working and very busy, preety much handle all your questions and try to help you with everything or anything you need. I suggest you make use of them and if you are in another hospital, assign someone to be your advocate. Someone you can talk to about everything that is happening to you. This has been an essential part of this journey.

I also suggest you get reading material that eases your anxiety. Read on your condition but also buy funny books and watch funny films. Laugh. It is great therapy. Remember, cancer is no longer a death sentence. It is a chronic disease. For most, if caught early, it is treatable and if it is not caught early, it is still treatable. It just takes longer and yes sometimes it can kill you but so can stress, heart disease and diabetes so don't lose faith. You do have to arm yourself with patience. That you will need in abundant doses.

I am very lucky. My surgeon is the chief of breast cancer surgery and she posesses a zen like quality. When she walks in the room, you feel a certain peace (sort of like the pope!) and then she has a sense of humor which really helps. I really liked her when she told me she operates while listening to Coldplay!

Her nurse is a hoot and highly knowledgable. I did ask if she believed in miracles and what would they do if they found nothing. She said, "we would worry" Well, by golly, I hope they will just have to worry!!!!

I have found that if I go to the hospital in a great mood, and I can lift the spirits of those around me it will make this journey so much more pleasant and worthwhile. I have learned that some personnel at Anderson are just plain tired, but when you smile at them and show them some compassion too, they appreciate it. Remember, they see people who are scared, sick and sad every day. They need some TLC too (tender loving care!) Finally, not everyone is as lucky as I am. I have an incredible family, awesome friends and the best medicine has to offer. It is my responsability to help those around me who don't. That may be one of the reasons I have to go through this. Keep me in your prayers!

No comments: