Thursday

Public Education and You on PBS and KUHF

Next Tuesday night, we host 40 Town Hall participants to discuss a subject that can be as complicated as health care. We invited a cross section of the community: teachers, administrators, principals, dropouts, state representatives, business leaders, non profits who work to improve public education, parents and those who are passionate about the subject.

I have been studying urban education for quite a while, attending seminars, talking to students, experts, teachers, parents, administrators. Many don't see the drop out rate as a crisis, because they say kids move so we really call them dropouts. Others say it is not that bad and others get mad at the media for only reporting what is negative. I can only say there is no way I can totally understand this subject unless I spend time inside many schools and live with the students and the teachers on a daily basis for more than a few months. Schools are microcosms of society. For many students they are the only safe haven they have. They may only be the only place they get a meal. Teachers, I believe mostly do a great job and it is a difficult one. Education has to be looked at in the social context it operates. This is a great challenge for though we spend more money per capita every year per students, there are also social issues that affect how we are educating. The divorce rate has quadrupled since 1960. The single parent homes have doubled. Poverty rate has gone up and many children have no health insurance or parents who really care about them. There is no doubt we need a highly effective teacher in every classroom, but can they do it alone? The one question I would ask myself and I hope you do too. What can I do? How do I contribute to make things better. I hope you join the conversation. Here are the airdates. and the first night April 20th at 7pm you can also hear us on KUHF 88.7 FM
4/20/2010 7:00 pm
4/22/2010 1:00 am
4/23/2010 8:00 pm
4/25/2010 4:00 pm

No comments: