Monday

Public Education in crisis or not? Living Smart launches, Latina Voices facebook page

What I learned this week: We may know a lot of people well, but that does not mean they are our friends. As I get older, I want to spend more time with people who know me well, accept me as I am and hold me accountable as a human being.

I am grateful for: My true friends who have been with me through thick and thin and truly want what is best for me

THE EDUCATION CRISIS April 20th 7pm on HoustonPBS Live Call in show

Do you care what happens to our public schools even if your kids are not going there?

We are not getting closer to the date of our town forum on Public Education. My goal is to hear as many voices as possible on the subject. There are those who do not believe we have a crisis in public education and that the media does not spend enough time talking about the great students, the ones who beat the odds, the teachers who work way beyond what they are responsible for, the principals who go out of their way to educate their kids, the parents who are involved and engaged. I agree we tend to focus more time generally on our problems than in our solutions. That is what I hope we can do with this town forum. At least become more aware of what we need to do to improve our education system. Here are some facts that we can't deny.
The US workforce is becoming more diverse. The fastest growing groups in our city, Hispanics and Blacks are the least educated. If current trends continue, and I believe they will and we don't improve the education for all groups in our city, the skills and incomes of our city residents will decline in the next decades. Please write us to let us know what you think. haveyoursay@Houstonpbs.org

Living Smart launches its 6th season with a great lineup. This Sunday find out how a school principal took over her school lunches and improved health, academics and self esteem. If you think you know what your kids are getting for lunch, ask again!

Sunday at 3pm and repeats friday night at 10pm.

Latina Voices, please sign up as a fan on our facebook page. www.facebook.com/latinavoices
We need your support to continue producing great programs on every day issues and concerns and bring a bit of joy into our lives.

No comments: