Monday

Greatest Poems of All times, Health Prevention, and The Environment

What I learned this week:
Sometimes old behavior patterns are difficult to change. Each time I get angry I have to remove myself from the situation, calm down and then respond. That's just Living Smart "ly"

What I am grateful for:
I have learned to forgive myself when I mess up and choose to be happy rather than to
"be right. "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here’s a sneak-peek into what’s on Living Smart and Latina Voices this week!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Living Smart: *Chitra Divakaruni and the Greatest Poems of All Time"
Green segment on Rain Water Harvesting with Steve Easton

Award Winning Writer Chitra Divakaruni shares some of the greatest poems of all time. We'll discuss poems by Rumi, Khalil Gibran, Elizabeth Browning, Chitra Divakaruni herself and many others. My favorite poem is by Khalil Gibran on raising children. "Your Children are not your children, they are the children that belong to life, You are the bow, they are the arrow." Wow when you hear it you will love it!
here is one of my favorites. A poem by Pablo Neruda I read when my boyfriend gave it to me. I was only 15.


Tonight I can write the saddest lines.

Write, for example,'The night is shattered
and the blue stars shiver in the distance.'

The night wind revolves in the sky and sings.

Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
I loved her, and sometimes she loved me too.

Through nights like this one I held her in my arms
I kissed her again and again under the endless sky.

She loved me sometimes, and I loved her too.
How could one not have loved her great still eyes.

Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
To think that I do not have her. To feel that I have lost her.

To hear the immense night, still more immense without her.
And the verse falls to the soul like dew to the pasture.

What does it matter that my love could not keep her.
The night is shattered and she is not with me.

This is all. In the distance someone is singing. In the distance.
My soul is not satisfied that it has lost her.

My sight searches for her as though to go to her.
My heart looks for her, and she is not with me.

The same night whitening the same trees.
We, of that time, are no longer the same.

I no longer love her, that's certain, but how I loved her.
My voice tried to find the wind to touch her hearing.

Another's. She will be another's. Like my kisses before.
Her voide. Her bright body. Her inifinite eyes.

I no longer love her, that's certain, but maybe I love her.
Love is so short, forgetting is so long.

Because through nights like this one I held her in my arms
my sould is not satisfied that it has lost her.

Though this be the last pain that she makes me suffer
and these the last verses that I write for her.

Pablo Neruda



(Sun, 3:00 PM, date—Repeats following Friday at10 PM)

Latina Voices: Smart Talk
Disease prevention is one of the ways to keep healthy. Hear what Nationally recognized Internist, Dr. Carlos Rivera, says will help you stave off diabetes, obesity, cancer, and other chronic conditions. Also, Texas To Go.com is a new place to go to get up to speed on latest Apps and technology to stay on top of your business. Learn from Texastogo.com CEO Sahnya Schulterbrant.
(Sun, 2:30 PM, date—repeats Wed, 11:30 PM)



Click here to see more of your favorite Living Smart shows!


Town Forum on "The Environment, Energy and The Economy: Making It Work. "
October 26th 7pm by Patricia Gras


The energy industry is the engine of our Houston Economy. Even our national economy relies heavily on oil and gas produced in the gulf of Mexico. How do we keep our vibrant community without harming the environment.

According to a Rasmussen poll report, and even after the catastrophic oil spill, 47% of voters continue to support deepwater drilling. Thirty-one percent (31%) say deepwater drilling should not be allowed, but another 22% are not sure. They still express concern about the environment but jobs tend to be a priority. A new Gallup poll also points that Americans now prioritize energy production over environemntal protection for the first time in its 10 year history.

The economy is still struggling and recently Senate Democrats abandoned the effort to pass an energy/climate bill that would begin to regulate greenhouse gases that cause global warming and promote renewable energy. Republican Senators had no plans on voting for the bill either.

What are the health, political and economic ramifications of our national, state and local energy policies? How do we make it work? That will be the topic of our town forum and we want to hear your ideas, thoughts and concerns. Let us know what you think.

No comments: