Friday

John Alexander at the MFA and why caring is important

Today I went to check out the new exhibit at the MFA Houston. The John Alexander, a retrospective exhibit was impressive. I am not an art critic, so let's start with that. My art experience is based on some studies in college and a visit to some of the great museums in the world, including el prado, the louvre and the Smithsonian, but I have to admit, I think I know good art when I see it.
Alexander was born in Texas. He says he began seriously painting when he moved to New York from Houston. In the past 4 decades, he's spent time chronicling the world around him. What I loved most about his work was his passionate stand on social, political and environmental issues. Like me, this artist hates hypocrisy and greed. The wonderful talent I found in this artist is his capacity to paint landscapes, animals and people brilliantly with a powerful message. To get the message you'll have to see the art. My favorite painting was called three little pigs. It is a satire about our politicians today. The other one I loved was high cotton. Alexander is adamant about reminding people the horrors of racism. This painting of the beautiful, aesthetic plant barely hides the chains which represent the horror of slavery.
John Alexander must be a complex, sensible and passionate man. I love artists who take a stand so if you ask me what I think. I will tell you. I like the guy. Go see his work if you have a chance in this great, awesome museum of ours, The museum of Fine Arts. His work will be there until June 22nd.
DON'T FORGET TO WATCH LIVING SMART THIS SUNDAY AT 3PM. Learn why it pays to be compassionate!

No comments: