Thursday

Optimum health institute and the new year!

I did it! I spent a week at the Optimum health institute in Bastrop Texas and guess what? I came back a new person. The institute's goal is to help your mind, body and spirit through a deep cleansing and detox program. For me, it was quite difficult. I am a "foodie" and this week was all about juicing, wheatgrass, rejuvenac, prayer, hugs, meditation and excercise. The last thing on your mind is the food you are going to eat that day because ....well...there isn't much of it.! You are there to detox, not to eat wonderful, tasty meals. Now I know how movie stars lose weight quickly and the healthy way. I would call my experience, surviving a very nutritious starvation plan. I loved the people I met, and most importantly the transformation I saw in myself and others. We all had more energy, felt happier, calmer and many times just plain exhausted and grumpy. (I was the one who was grumpy, I get that way when I am hungry!) Many people come with serious health issues. I came with a serious life issues. I couldn't lose weight. I was highly stressed and I wanted a spiritual awakening. When I came home I had lost 9 pounds, mostly water weight I assume since I gained back half the weight in a few days even though I was eating very healthy meals upon my return. However, I am ready to now take on the world. I am ready to face the challenges of the new year and thrive as a human being on this very shaky planet! I can now truly say I am capable of doing anything. I know understand to some extent what it is like to be hungry for long periods of time. I thought about the millions of people in the world who go to bed hungry. For me, this was temporary. I can't imagine what it is like living that way. I am so lucky and so grateful I have something nutritious to eat.
The "smart" people who attend the wellness retreat continue a raw food diet which is the optimum for health. I, on the other hand, chose to continue being a "foodie" just a "smarter" foodie. What a great, difficult but life affirming experience!

No comments: