Tuesday

To heal the world, heal thyself

As some of my friends were discussing politics and how Rush Limbaugh and Anne Colter said this and Al Franken said that and why are the Republicans so angry etc. One of those friends sent me this quote by Thomas Merton.

"So instead of loving what you think is peace, love other people and love God above all. And instead of hating the people you think are warmakers, hate the appetites and the disorder in your own soul, which are the causes of war. If you love peace, then hate injustice, hate tyranny, hate greed - but hate these things in yourself, not in another."

- Thomas Merton, from "New Seeds of Contemplation"

Wow, I thought, how liberating it is to focus on what we hold within ourselves, our own prejudices, hatreds, confusion, anxiety etc. I actually have many mirrors around me (people who don't like me or accept me the way I am) They shine a light on my (shadow) Jungian concept of what we hate in ourselves. In time, I realize there is a lot within I have to work through. That is why I always pray for inner peace, harmony and balance. If I keep focusing on what I don't want in my life, then unfortunately I will probably attract it, so we must focus on the positive aspects of everything and quite blaming others for our own misfortunes. This is the only way we can get ahead. Blaming others tends to put a rope around our throat as we try to move forward. Yes, people hurt us, fire us, abuse us, lie to us, steal from us etc. but there are those who love us, accept us, put up with us and hold our hand when we need them. What am I going to focus on?



Kassim

No comments: