Sunday

THE VALUE OF YOUR FEMALE FRIENDS

As women, our bonds with other women tend to be different than friendships between men. Chris Hedges, a war correspondent for 30 years wrote "War is a Force that gives us meaning." (You can find the interview  I did with him on video google) He said men don't fight for their countries. They fight for each other, for their brothers in combat, for other soldiers they have bonded with. As women our bonds tend to be stronger than men's. We don't need to go through something as traumatic as a war to bond. A few weeks ago, I received an email from a friend in Argentina so I will translate it as best as I can. It describes why women are so important in our lives. 

This says it all. 

Time passes,

Life goes on,

Distances separate people. 

Children grow up. 

Jobs come and go

Passion diminishes

Men don't always do what they were supposed to do.

Hearts break

Parents die. 

Coworkers forget favors they have received

Professional careers come to an end

BUT

Your sisters are always there, It does not matter how much time and how many miles are between you.

A girlfriend is never too far to be with you when you need her.

When you have to walk the valley alone, the women in your life will be there surrounding you, cheering you on, praying for you, pushing you, intervening for you, opening their hearts  and waiting  for you with open arms at the end of the journey.  

Sometimes, they will even break rules and will walk by you and will ease your burden. 
Friends, daughters, grandmothers, sisters in law, sisters, moms, grandaughters, cousins, nieces and all your family are a blessing in this life. 

The world would not be the same without women and I would not be who I am without them. When we began this adventure of being women, we didn't have any idea the incredible satisfaction and the painful challenges that await us. We don't know either how much we will need each other, but we will. 
 
Pass this on to all the women who give meaning to your life. 

First I would like to take this opportunity to thank my friend in Argentina who sent me this. She is going through cancer treatment so keep her in your prayers. She and I grew up together in Argentina and reconnected this year after 20 years through FACEBOOK! She lives in the mountains so we were out of touch. Gracias MARITE

I also want to thank all the women who supported me in the past week. Your friendship, your unconditional love and wise counsel got me through one heck of a week. Thank you sisters in arms. I hope I can be there for you always as you have been for me. 

Remember Season 5 of Living Smart begins April 12 at 3pm on HoustonPBS and will repeat the following friday at 10pm. On March 22n at 2:30pm Latina Voices airs its second show. 

No comments: