Sunday

Living Smart and Children

What I learned this week: Sometimes when we are down about something, we have to realize we may not perceive things the same way on the next day, so I take time to pause, swallow and begin again!

What I am grateful for: I have so many friends who are much smarter than me. I am very lucky that way!

Living Smart will air Dr. Bruce Perry friday February 5th at 10pm. Dr. Perry is the go to psychiatrist for dealing with children and trauma, so he just got back from Haiti. In Living Smart we tried to find ways to make sure children grow up with as little trauma as possible. He is really concerned about how technology and our way of life is keeping children from enjoying adult company, long in depth conversations, a better attention span and most importantly meaningful relationships. Kids are now so used to texting and being connected with everything but real people, he is afraid we will slowly lose our human connections. I would love to hear from you. What do you do to keep your children more connected to you and other humans?



Latina Voices present Juan Sepulveda, Genesys works and Marilyn Logan on Feb. 28th at 2:30pm

6 comments:

Fenter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fenter said...

Hi Patricia,
I have to say I am very grateful for the computer age. Even outside of the US as I am, talking and texting on cell phones are rampant here. My oldest son lives on his cell phone, but is one of the most difficult people to get a hold of. My two youngest sons are of the computer generation, and use it to their advantage to connect with people who they would never have met if we did not have computers. They also do a lot of work helping the disadvantaged in mind and body.
Although we are across the world, my daughter and I are able to connect the old fashioned way the telephone.

Fenter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Our kids (9 yrs old) are at a Waldorf-inspired public charter school. Our school encourages parents to limit or eliminate screen time - TV, computer, handheld devices. And we follow that advice - we have the occasional family movie night, and they have used a computer a few times. There is plenty of research on how much damage watching TV and computer screens does to developing children's brains - so I won't repeat it here. But it boils down to choices you make. While it is hard and we aren't always successful, we try to spend week days after school doing sports and homework, weekends doing hiking, art projects and good ol' reading. You won't get as much pushback if you start them young.

Patricia Gras said...

Thank you for your comment. Parents who have children can see both sides of this issue. I see kids more connected with their parents through technology than ever. How does that affect the one on one relationship? It probably makes it better. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Anonymous said...

I'm the sort of guy who loves to taste radical stuff. Right now I'm constructing my hold pv panels. I am managing it all by myself without the help of my men. I'm utilizing the net as the only way to acheive this. I ran across a truly amazing website that explains how to make pv panels and wind generators. The place explains all the steps required to building photovoltaic panels.

I'm not exactly sure bout how accurate the information given there iz. If some experts over here who have experience with these things can have a peak and give your feedback in the page it would be awesome and I would highly value it, because I truly enjoy solar panel construction.

Thanks for reading this. U people are the best.