Wednesday

Virginia Tech and the massacre

I am saddened once again about these sorts of shootings in our schools. Why do they happen? Is it a reflection of our culture or some crazy individuals, very different from us? Do we all have
a proclivity to do something like this to ourselves or to others in a time of desperation? I don't know the answer. What I'd like to know is where this young man got his guns. Where did all the shooters in the past 20 years get their guns. Why did they have semiautomatic weapons. What are they for? Aren't they to fight wars? I would think you would not want a weapon like that if you were a real hunter. I don't know enough to judge if I am for or against the availability of guns. There are good arguments on both sides. However, I am concerned that we will allow this to become a "normal" feature of our culture. Gun shootings in our schools every other month. Do we arm ourselves more as some believe we should (I have heard gun proponents say if a student had a gun, maybe this man would not have killed so many people) or do we make it harder for anyone to get a semiautomatic weapon? Apparently this young man had a history of strange behavior. I would like some answers. Where did he get his guns? and does it matter? What can we as a society do to stop these shootings?

No comments: