Tuesday

Balanced Politics/and why vacations are important

As I do research on topics for future shows on Ch. 8, I came upon a website called balancedPolitics.org. I found this fascinating, particularly because I get so tired of the rhetoric on both sides of the aisle and litte on factual information. When you open the site it says

...a website dedicated to balanced, non-partisan discussion of important societal issues.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." --Albert Einstein


"Let us not seek the Republican answer nor the Democratic answer but the right answer." --John F. Kennedy"

As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use. A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices." --William James

Let's face it we all want OUR POINT OF VIEW to be heard and of course, we are certain it is the right one, but frankly issues are complex and we should make an effort to listen to all sides and share our point of view with people who are willing to listen, realizing that the discussion has to be conducted with respect and an open mind.
One of the aspects of any information is to ask what are the facts and where did you get the facts? As you know many corporations pay certain scientists or researchers to put out information that is beneficial to them. Generally speaking you have to turn to primary sources of information. I would also do searches on the BBC or NPR.

We live in interesting times. When people say we live in a global world, it means the more you understand how the world really works, the better you will navigate it. What has happened to me after living in different countries and travelling around the world is that I noticed how much we are alike and why we sometimes misunderstand each other. None of us like being out of our comfort zone, but in reality that is what allows us to grow and expand our knowledge. If we only hang out with people who agree with everything we think or do, we tend to want to protect what we believe and seldom experience the richness of humanity. We don't have to agree with other ideas or thoughts but we should be able to listen to others express them with respect and I often say, compassion.

I am going on vacation for the first time in a long time. I say that because the last few years I spent going on "vacation" to a hospital to visit my mother, who is now healthy and living here. I can't stress enough how important it is to focus on turning off your computers, cell phones, television sets and stop to listen to whatever is around you. I plan a few days in the beach and the mountains. I know that I will get my batteries recharged and once again find the proper gratitude for god's creation. If it wasn't for this time off, I would not be as productive in my work. I can assure you and it has been scientifically proven. People who take vacation time, do better in their work. Try it. You will like it! and don't tell me you don't have enough money. You can vacation in your own home. Turn everything off, and start to look at the flowers in your garen, or pet your cat or simply breathe deeply. Off I go.

No comments: